The Superintendent plans, supervises and coordinates all tasks in the home-building process, ensuring the project gets completed on time, within budget and to the Company’s quality standards. The Superintendent manages trade partners and ensures quality control and safety. It is the responsibility of this individual to initiate required action to achieve the project objectives and to ensure all project activities are consistent with contract documents and the Company’s policies.
DESIGN AND PRE-CONSTRUCTION STAGES
- Becoming familiar with all assigned projects’ documents (including plans, permits and specifications) and pro-actively analyzing documents for errors, construction feasibility, value engineering opportunities and inefficiencies.
- Attending periodic design and coordination meetings with Consultants and Construction Project Manager and commenting on plan review / analysis.
- Developing project budget, schedule and site logistics planning.
- Participating in procurement of subcontractors / vendors and development and analysis of subcontractors’ scope of work.
- Providing input on bidders, reviewing and comparing their scope of work and pricing.
- Organizing and conducting bid walks.
- Working with assigned Construction Project Manager to setup site in preparation for construction activities (order locate, disconnect utilities, arrange temp utilities, get all necessary permits, etc.).
- Pre-job planning and mobilization.
- Conducting pre-construction meeting with City inspectors.
- Conducting pre-construction meetings with each Subcontractor to ensure complete understanding of scope of work, schedule, and field coordination.
- Managing subcontractors, inspecting work and approving payments for acceptable work and materials.
- Managing contract adherence and providing input on subcontractor selection.
- Approving all subcontractor, supplier / vendor, and material invoices for the work performed / materials delivered and ensuring that applications for payment are promptly submitted, payments are received, and funds are properly disbursed.
- Assisting Construction Project Manager in obtaining conditional lien releases when invoices are submitted and final lien releases when invoices are paid.
- Monitoring subcontractors’ compliance with applicable regulations such as building codes, environmental laws, health and safety programs, as well as project design documents and material specifications.
- Managing daily logistics of the site to ensure various contractors work harmoniously; staging the job by determining the timing and location of material deliveries, sequencing of work and option installation, and verifying prior work is completed to Company’s high standards prior to follow-on work.
- Continuing procurement of sub-contractors.
- Working openly and collaboratively with the Construction Project Manager to ensure clear understanding of budget and material procurement requirements.
- Managing work against benchmarks and timetables to ensure that subcontractors and vendors perform on schedule and on budget. Where possible, achieving time savings on project delivery.
- Exercising discretion to plan and coordinate starts; modifying schedules in response to field conditions to achieve project goals.
- Developing and implementing recovery strategies to maintain project schedule.
- Communicating with Construction Project manager and / or Architects / Engineers in connection with field issues. Investigating and resolving such issues.
- Participating in all meetings with City inspectors.
- Making sure all necessary inspections are performed and passed.
- Enforcing Site Safety requirements at all times. Managing safety for himself/herself; overseing subcontractors to ensure they work safely; evaluating safety violations and exercising judgment to take appropriate actions.
- Updating project schedule at regular intervals in collaboration with Construction Project Manager.
- Preparing a 3-week look-ahead schedule on weekly basis.
- Once a week, taking pictures and / or videos of all projects (all rooms inside, all walls outside, all grounds, etc.) and uploading them to shared project portal.
- Monitoring and managing Subcontractors’ workflow and perform quality control.
- Assisting Construction Project Manager in reviewing of Subcontractors’ change order requests for accuracy of requested changes in comparison to the initial scope of work. Verifying validity of the change order to make sure it is not part of the subcontractors’ original scope of work.
- Maintaining daily log of site activities, Subcontractors’ manpower, weather, issues, visitors, etc. Updating this log to shared project portal. Making necessary recommendations to Construction Project Manager if any issues are observed.
- Communicating with Construction Project Manager on decisions to be made and their timeframe.
- Acting as Company’s primary representative on the job sites with third parties such as suppliers / vendors, subcontractors, government inspectors, etc.
- Performing ongoing and timely return of materials in case of extra.
- Ensuring efficient operations of all HVAC and electrical / plumbing systems; inspecting sites and implementing procedures to minimize loss of assets and time.
- Coordinating with surveying, testing and inspection staff.
POST CONSTRUCTION STAGE
- Coordinating and implementing “punch list” (includes monitoring of “punch list” progress, maintenance of “punch list” work records, etc.)
- Assisting in review of the project in preparation for final acceptance.
- Coordinating process for obtaining Certificate of Occupancy.
- Coordinating inventory and warehousing of all company-owned project tools and equipment, excess materials, temporary facilities, etc.
- Assisting Construction Project Manager in review of final subcontractor pay applications and obtaining of final lien releases.
- Following up on warranty work as required.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing building process from start to finish as well as coordinate applicable first-year warranty.
- Working with Construction Project Manager, all subcontractors and suppliers / vendors to build trust and create a cohesive team environment.
- Understanding and interpreting technical design drawings, specifications and blueprints.
- Enforcing contractual responsibilities of subcontractors and suppliers / vendors, and effectively resolving any conflicts.
- Developing and maintaining key Subcontractor relationships.
- Maintaining site cleanliness at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proactively visiting other construction sites in scouting potential subcontractors / vendors / suppliers.
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of residential building construction and its stages.
- Ability to read, understand and implement architectural and structural blueprints, off-site improvement plans and soils reports.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of all relevant building codes and scopes of work.
- 4 years of relevant construction experience or education required.
- Ability to manage multiple staff and project deliverables with precision, speed, and efficiency.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to make sound, informed decisions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills and integrity.
- Ability to manage own time on a daily basis with little supervision.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects, changing priorities and continually heavy workloads.
- Strong desire to succeed in an entrepreneurial environment.